Re: network print server

hi ya michael

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Michael West wrote:

>      I did not mean that I am having trouble configuring samba/lpd.  I
>      enjoy configuring printcap files myself, and like to make physical
>      printer appear as as many logical printers as possible.

yupp...  ( or network printers ?? )

>      But my "mucking around" included activities which take the system
>      down.  Sometimes by linux box is unbootable because I am
>      experimenting with Grub and Lilo, sometimes I have runaway

you should always have a boot floopy, bootable cdrom, etc.etc.. :-)

>      processes making things hang, sometimes lpd itself hangs and has to
>      be restarted.  And, of course, I occasionally update or reconfigure

yes... some runaway process are bugs... others are "user bugs"
and thats the fun/annoyances of playing with the box... to hopefully
make it better

>      my kernel or add hardware.  Many of these issues will be resolved
>      when I finally get VMware.  All of these events together happen

i will never/i prefer NOT to see any vmware anywhere on my entworks..
- had enough crashes of it erasing/destroying linux boxes...
	- donno if it was the users doing whacky stuff or vmware itself
	( was a year-n-half ago )

	- if one needs windoze... put it on a different drive .. :-)
	and their home dir is on a linux home server... problem solved...

>      rarely, but still my wife is unsure what will happen when she
>      clicks her printer icon.

if the network/machines are working right.. it will always print
unlike windoze world which needs rebooting...

>      It is a poor architecture which has a production system dependent on
>      a development system ( funny, I have this issue at work as well. )

and you can have fun at both places... one place paying youto have fun
and other place will nagg ya if it didnt work

c ya
alvin