Re: network print server

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Mike Dresser wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Michael West wrote:
>
> >      I have been using samba as a print server at home, but
> >      I am often mucking around on my debian box, and sometimes this
> >      results in my wife not being able to print.

i assume the machine PrintServer ( 192.168.1.2 ) has the printer connected
to it and its running samba for windoze users and its input/output filters
configured to be able to print various files fmts
	lpr *.jpg
	lpr *.txt
	lpr *.ps
	lpr *.anything

	all should be printable
	( i like magicfilter -- and hand-edited printcap files )

- am assuming you have setup samba properly and have defined windoze users
  with smbpasswd user1
	- someone posted a smb.conf a couple days ago

> cat file | telnet ip 9100
> will quickly print my file.

more simply

pc1#  lpr file.*	( any file format )

linux_pc1  would have its /etc/printcap
	#
	# print to the remote printer on PrintServer
	#
	lp|HPrinter:\
	        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
       		:rm=192.168.1.2:
	#
	# end of printcap

linux_pc2#  same printcap   as linux_pc1

windoze# just install a network printer using windoze "printer manager"

and if you're sending fax documents to lots of places around
the world....
	each office in paris, rome, NY, london, tokyo can
	have a printer connector to it

	any_linux_pc#  lpr  -Ptokyo   file_to_print
	any_linux_pc#  lpr  -Pnewyork file_to_print
	any_linux_pc#  lpr  -Prome    file_to_print

	- and define ip# so that only certain pc's(gw) can
	print to its local printer from some remote office

--- no special hardware needed

c ya
alvin