Re: network print server

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Michael West wrote:

>      I have been using samba as a print server at home, but
>      I am often mucking around on my debian box, and sometimes this
>      results in my wife not being able to print.
>
>      To increase user satisfaction I am considering purchasing one of
>      these dedicated print server appliances which attach directly to
>      the network.  It must work for win98, XP pro and Debian.  Ideally
>      it would have parallel and usb support.
>
>      I am looking for recommendation as to where to research what would
>      work best.  I couldn't find anything at linuxprinting.org on this.
>
>           ~Michael

I like the Jetdirect EX Plus models from HP, lpr is quite happy with it
and easy to setup, and if nothing else

cat file | telnet ip 9100

will quickly print my file.

Setting these up in Windows 2000 is trivial out of the box, and the
drivers work decently in 95/98.

Not sure which models definately let you do this, we use the EX Plus's,
which are available on ebay for something like 25-30 dollars apiece, and a
few bucks more for the 3 port model.

The built in EIO/MIO units on the HP Laserjets work the same way as the
external models.

Now, for USB you'll have to look into newer JetDirects, these are 10baseT
and parallel only.

Now if only I could find flash dimms for HP2100/HP4000 lasers for less
than 400 bucks :)

Mike