Re: Re-configuring after an install

Chris Owen wrote:
Hi, I'm doing an install of Debian 3.0 and have a probably dumb question.

After the installation, how do I re-configure some of the things that I set up right at the start of the installation: specifically, the keyboard map and the network setup? I presume there are scripts available for this, but I haven't managed to find mention of this in the documentation.

I need to set up a PCMCIA network interface card to connect to the internet via a DSL router, and I'm hoping there's a script that'll do this for me.

Thanks

Chris

The basic way to re-configure most of the stuff done during install is to use the 'dpkg-reconfigure" command. The rub comes in knowing exactly which package you have to reconfigure, and a few are not handled by debconf in this manner. Network config of NICs is one of those "exceptions". However, there is a work-around for this particular case... the "etherconf" package will allow you to reconfig your NICs quite easily.

There is a GUI interface to the "dpkg-reconfigure" command called "gkdebconf" that is nice & I use it quite a bit. You have to be running X for it to work, and since it is a "root" application you have to mess around with permissions, etc. to get it running from a user account.

These tools have been very useful for me... dunno if it will help you out or not.. YMMV

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-