Re: Re-configuring after an install

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 06:41:40AM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 11:19:21PM -0800, Osamu Aoki (osamu@debian.org) wrote:
> > > I guess you installed task for laptop like me.  I think that introduced
> > > package called netenv.  I think that is the one asking question.
> > >
> > > See /usr/share/doc/netenv .  Use "mc" command.
> >
> > netenv is IMO a useless package.  Lose it.  No harm.
>
> Good point but how do you change network configuration for different
> environment at boot time other than ifconfig from root-shell?
>
> Osamu
> PS: I have not read above link location either :(

I am quite happy with whereami. Here's what apt-cache has to tell
about it:

hdv@thor:~$ apt-cache show whereami
Package: whereami
Section: net
Installed-Size: 396
Maintainer: Andrew McMillan <debian@mcmillan.net.nz>
Architecture: all
Version: 0.2.5
Depends: debconf (>= 1.2.9)
Suggests: pcmcia-cs, fping, net-tools, iputils-arping, ifplugd
Filename: pool/main/w/whereami/whereami_0.2.5_all.deb
Size: 53210
MD5sum: 76ab0f14a44388fd945e65893b665ba3
 whereami is a set of useful scripts and a coordinating system for
 automatically re-locating your computer within the current (network)
 environment.
 .
 Typically, you would use whereami to automatically detect and
 re-configure your laptop when you move between a variety of diverse
 networks and/or docking environments.
 .
 Although whereami will work best if all of your networks assign
 addresses through dhcp, this is not a pre-requisite and the system
 allows any technique to be used to ascertain the new location with
 as little ongoing user intervention as possible.
 .
 Having ascertained the correct location, whereami will run appropriate
 (user-configured) scripts to adjust the laptop operation to suit the
 current environment.
 .
 See http://debiana.net/whereami/ for more information.  You may also
 get useful assistance from the debian-laptop mailing list, which is
 frequented by several of the contributors.

HTH

Grx HdV