Re: suggestions for a fast web browser?

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 04:59:08PM -0800, nate wrote:
> Hugh Saunders said:
>
> > if you added some swap, maybe browser mem leaks would be such a prob as
> > rubbish would be swapped out? [obv still annoying but maybe not as much!]
>
> probably be just as bad if not worse. when the leak gets that bad it
> can take several seconds to do anything in the browser, and if I switch
> virtual desktops, and back again it can take 10-15 seconds for X to redraw
> the app. if it had to dig into swap it may take much longer.
[my knowledge is very limited but this is my understanding:]
mem leak=app storing stuff in RAM that it doesnt need [rubbish]
swap=method of freeing RAM  by storing stuff that is currently in the ram but is used
the least frequently on disk.

If an application has leaked some Rubbish to RAM then it wont read it back
so it will get swaped, as the app  wont request it back from swap, it shouldnt slow down
your browsing.

This is a very simplistic view on things, technical correcttions
appreciated :-)

hugh