Re: suggestions for a fast web browser?

Sandip P Deshmukh said:

> any suggestions? for both console based as well as gui based browsers are
> welcome.

I'm sure you'll hear a lot about phoenix. I use it, it works well, loads
pretty fast. Opera still blows it away in startup time, though opera isn't
as standards compliant(v6 anyways). Both opera and phoenix though seem to
have massive memory leaks, I haven't been able to track down what triggers
them but sometimes I come to my machine and see either of them(they are both
loaded 24/7 on my main machine) using up to 400MB of memory. Opera is
especially buggy on SSL sites.

phoenix is my main browser though, I do keep opera since it is able to
recover from crashes better by loading all pages that were up before the
crash(phoenix cannot do this yet). Also I keep phoenix is a different color
configuration(black background on grey text), which makes some websites
unreadable, so I load them in opera(changing color modes in phoenix is one
way to trigger a crash so I avoid it whenever possible).

I run phoenix 0.5 and opera 6.11(registered).

lynx and links are both decent browsers for the console, depends on what
sites you vist, most of mine are perfectly readable in text mode browsers
(which is important for my PDA too since I use EudoraWeb).

I do not use plugins like java, flash, or other multimedia, all of that
is disabled. the only site I use that requires java is flipdog.com(job
search), which I use netscape 4 for.

for reference, my primary desktop is an athlon 1300 with 768mb ram, a 9gig
ultrawide scsi disk, no swap, home directory is mounted over NFS. Video is
nvidia geforce3 (forgot which model), 2.2.19 kernel with debian stable.

nate