Re: Recommendation for dual head video card

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 08:27:37PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> Hum, well I need to read more.  I thought it was Xinerama that made the
> dual head thing workable -- using two as if one screen.

Yep, that's what Xinerama does.  Badly. :)  But it's certainly not required
for supporting multiple monitors... X has known how to do *that* for years.

> If you are not using Xinerama then can you describe your setup and what
> it's possible to do?

I run them as two separate screens.  The GF4 440 is :0.0 (right monitor),
and the GF4 420 is :0.1 (left monitor).  Works just fine.  You need to
either be using a window manager that's multiple-screen-aware, or else run
a separate window manager on each head.  You can't move windows between the
two monitors, but who wants to do that anyway?  Start the application on
the right head in the first place. :)

Note that KDE and Gnome do not qualify as environments that are
multiple-screen-aware (although I'm told that KDE is finally making motions
in that direction).

--
 Marc Wilson |     If you always postpone pleasure you will never
 msw@cox.net |     have it.  Quit work and play for once!