Re: [apt] Disabling upgrade to insecure packages

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 12:27:01PM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 07:04:37PM +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>
> > Well, if one could put on hold a particular version of a package
> > (given by the user), it would be better than nothing. Is there a
> > way to do this?
>
> You could grab the source, edit the changelog to incriment the version,
> and recompile.  It would effectively put it on hold until a package
> became available with a greater version number.  Other than that, I
> don't think so.

In most cases of security alerts, both stable and unstable get prompt
updates with the necessary fixes, but testing does not (until the
unstable version migrates downward).  I'm running testing and have used
'apt-get -b source' to grab the unstable source and build a package of
the newer version, where necessary.