Re: Kernel - compile error

[I'm on-list, obviously, so please don't CC me.  Also, please let your
editor do some sort of sensible wrapping (say at 72 columns), since your
messages just look horrific.]

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 01:39:38PM -0300, Rodrigo F. Baroni wrote:
>  --- Rob Weir <rweir@softhome.net> escreveu: > On Sun,
> Jan 05, 2003 at 03:36:36PM -0300, Rodrigo F.
> > Baroni wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > >     Kernel 2.4.18 in a 233Mhz PC Pentium 233Mhz,
> > > LMR591 mother board (everything on-board) - after
> > > compile the kernel (#make bzImage) the follow
> > error
> > > appear:
> > >

> > >      "make: warning: Clock skew detected. Your
> > build
> > > may be incomplete"
> > >

> > >       I got to boot with it, but I don't know if
> > it
> > > there isn't some problem... since it will be a
> > node in
> > > a cluster..
> > >       Does anybody knows what's going on ?
> >
> > make adds some smarts to software compilation: it
> > only rebuilds things
> > whose dependencies have changed.  For example, if
> > example.o is built
> > from example.c and includes header.h, then example.o
> > will only be
> > rebuilt if example.c or header.h have changed.  It
> > does this by checking
> > the modification time of files.  make, of course,
> > recurses up the
> > dependency tree.  It looks like make is getting
> > confused about when a
> > file was modified.  Are you running ntpdate or
> > having clock problems?
> >

>   No. Yet, the same message ("Clock skew detected.
> Your build may be incomplete") had happened in another
> machine (PentiumIII 550Mhz, Asus p299 motherboard).
> Maybe be some problem of the 2.4.18 kernel, I think...

I doubt it, since millions of people are using it successfully....

>   I had got another problem, but this don´t let the
> compile get finish, saying about support to smp, but
> since are machines mono-processor, I have disabled
> support to it (SMP) - what give the follw error when
> %make bzImage :
>
>        nro_smp_processor not defined
>

>   If I enable the support to SMP, the compilation of
> kernel goes normally, but some drivers don´t work with
> it.
>    This have been a problem for some time to me...

Have you tried backing up .config and running 'make mrproper'?