Re: debian installation problem: AT keyboard detection with ASUS-A7A266,

#include <hallo.h>
Travis Bradshaw wrote on Tue Apr 02, 2002 um 12:01:24PM:

> I'm would gladly help in any way that I can... but I don't believe that
> my problem is USB based at all.  When I did successfully compile a

Thanks. I think, the problem is USB based though.

> kernel into the boot floppy with the correct USB options enabled, my
> keyboard works fantastic.  I just need to have USB support compiled into
> the kernel for the actual installation process.  The timeline goes
> something like this:
>
> 1) Kernel without USB support (just like the installation kernel)
> 2) Kernel with USB support compiled as a module

2) is the behaviour of bf2.4 kernel.

> 3) Kernel with USB support compiled in (like I've tried to make)
> 4) RedHat's 2.4.7-10 kernel that came with 7.2
>
> . = no keyboard
> * = keyboard works

I can tell you what happens with a broken BIOS (or weird Compaq keyboard
such as one I have)...

> Power On ----- Lilo ----- Kernel Load ----- Module Load --- User Mode
> 1)******************************.....................................
> 2)******************************..................*******************

Same here. 1) is like 2.2.x kernels w/o USB, 2) is like current bf2.4

> 3)*******************************************************************

3a) ***************************ttt...ttt...ttt...ttt........t.t.t.t.t.t

t is timeout message from the usb driver. Keyboard is unuseable.

> 4)*******************************************************************

No idea, likely the same behaviour.

> When I try to install debian, things go like number 1.  Keyboard support
> is great until the kernel loads (this is with just the USB plugged in,

It's changed in last boot-floppies. Module is loaded when the
installation system is initialised.

> just the ps2 port plugged in, or with both plugged in.  Doesn't matter,
> the motherboard supports the USB keyboard and the ps2 controller fine,
> of course).

Wait, you mean, the ps2 keyboard does _not_ work? This is extremely
ugly.

> When I successfully compiled a kernel with all the USB options that I
> need compiled in natively (input-core support, ohci controller, HID
> support, RAW HID access development thingie), it worked great throughout
> the entire boot process, no intermission.  Also, the 2.4.7-10 kernel
> that RedHat 7.2 ships with works great as well.

Nice. Since most people are booting from CD (no need for keypresses
before the module is loaded) or can specify the "keytimer" option at
bootprompt, I do not care.

> I did some more reading, woody looks right for me.  I downloaded and
> burnt the net-inst cd for woody (latest version: 3.0pre 2002-02-15 (b-f
> 3.0.19) just to try it out.  While I know that booting from this CD-ROM
> will not fix my USB problems on this computer, I will use this
> installation on another box of mine as a practice/trial run.

If you wanna help to test the new images, try David's recent images from
people.debian.org/~dwhedon

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Bei MacOS X-Air ist das aber alles anders...;-)
Sobald Du da eine Detail-Frage hast, wirst Du höflich aber bestimmt darauf