Re: debian installation problem: AT keyboard detection with ASUS-A7A266,

On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 21:25, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
>     "Travis" == Travis Bradshaw <tbradshaw@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
>     Travis> I'm currently running into a problem with installing
>     Travis> debian with my ASUS A7A266 motherboard regarding an "AT
>     Travis> Keyboard not present" error.  My current RedHat 7.2
>     Travis> installation behave(s|d) normally during installation and
>     Travis> typical use, and so I never noticed a problem before.
>
> Travis,
>
> Are you using a USB keyboard? What kernel version?
>
> I use a USB keyboard with a Soyo K7V Dragon+ mobo. I see the "AT
> Keyboard not present" message, but with a stock 2.4.18 k7 kernel image
> things go okay later (I don't have a keyboard when initrd gives me 5
> seconds to get a shell, but hey.....).
>
> If you are using a USB keyboard, try the bf2.4 boot floppies. That
> kernel comes with more USB support (personally, I installed with a
> standard AT keyboard using a idepci 2.2.x boot floppy in Woody,
> upgraded to 2.4.18 and then switched to the USB keyboard).
>
> I hope I'm even in the ballpark here....
>
> /Shyamal

Thanks for your reply.

I am using a USB keyboard, a Microsoft Natural Pro.  However, I also
have the AT (ps2) connector plugged in for compatibilites sake.

My current (most stable) kernel is the 2.4.7-10 kernel that shipped with
RedHat 7.2.  I also have a 2.4.18 kernel compiled and working as well.
The 2.4.18 kernel works as you described, I have no keyboard for a
while, get the AT errors, but then it all works out when the USB modules
are loaded up.  (I don't know what the "k7" suffix on your kernel
version means, I will look it up as soon as I get a chance.)

You mention installing with an AT keyboard and then switching to a USB
keyboard after you got things working.  However, I do not have that
option.  I believe that it is my AT keyboard controller that is not
being detected, making a standard keyboard useless/impossible.  I wish
to use USB for the installation process, as I think this is the only way
to get any input from me into the installation process.

However, a very important point that you bring up is installing woody.
I was (and am currently, but I just started researching more now that
the point was brought up) thinking that potato was the most appropriate
version for a person new to linux, and woody would be "out of my
league".  I was also curious if woody would be stable enough to support
my primary workstation where all of my mission critical communciations
and development takes place.

If I should be installing woody, and the *installation* kernel for woody
has USB support, then I would consider that a very plausable solution.

Thanks again for your prompt reply Shyamal, I appreciate all good help
that I can get. =)

Travis Bradshaw
tbradshaw@sbcglobal.net