Re: New Install

On 3 Apr 2002, Irish, Jon D NCCIM wrote:

> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C1DB29.61700D40
>
> I am a newbie to Debian, and I am running into a problem with the initial
> install. I am trying to install on a Compaq Deskpro EN system. This box has
> an integrated Intel PRO/100 VM nic. Debian does not list this adapter in the
> install routine. Intel's web site does have Linux drivers for this adapter,
> but they are non-Debian specific, and un-compiled at that. Being a newbie, I
> have no idea how to integrate these uncompiled drivers into the debian
> install. Would someone out there please take pity on me and provide me with
> step-by-step instructions on how to complete this install?

Use the eepro100 driver, which is located in the module subdirectory net.
You need to select this driver at installation time, when it asks you
about selecting drivers. Please note that there are known issues with this
driver, but it seems to depend on what kind of network you are on and also
the exact card you are using, so try it and see. If you find your machine
hangs on large downloads or exhibits other erratic behaviour related to
networking (like popping up error messages on the console for no apparent
reason), try the intel driver. The module source for this is the Debian
package e100-source. Just do "apt-get install e100-source". Note that in
this case, you will probably need to recompile the kernel.

                                                       Faheem.