Re: New Install

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 10:05:31AM -0600, Irish, Jon D NCCIM wrote:
> I am a newbie to Debian, and I am running into a problem with the initial
> install. I am trying to install on a Compaq Deskpro EN system. This box has
> an integrated Intel PRO/100 VM nic.

That nic was a pain to get going with linux, until I tried Intel's own
drivers. My machine would constantly hang when I downloaded large (or
sometimes not so large) files. I tried lots of different kernels both
in the 2.4 and 2.2 series. The problematic driver was eepro100, but I
did a network install just fine, my problems started when I moved the
machine to another room at work and so it might be related to certain
hubs.

1. Try the eepro100 driver. But be aware that it might cause you
trouble. Test it thoroughly.

2. If it does not satisfy you, go with the intels drivers. If you have
trouble compiling you own kernel, perhaps I could compile one to you,
(mail the off-list in that case).

 Debian does not list this adapter in the

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux emac140 2.4.17 #1 sön feb 10 20:21:22 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Hans Ekbrand