Re: IPV6 things...

* Markus Grunwald (markus.grunwald@gmx.de) [020403 10:32]:
> Hi!
>
> I would like to say a few words about ipv6 handling of some few
> programs.
>
> Are YOU using ipv6 ? No ? Well, me neither. It's a nice thing and I will
> use it if I have to, but up to now, everything here is ipv4.

Well, yes, actually. It's a really nice thing, and I'd recommend using
it voluntarily before you absolutely *have* to.

> Some programs (I only know ssh and exim but I bet there are more...) are
> "ready for the future" and support ipv6. Thats is surely a good thing.
>
> Fun ends, if I can't tell a program NOT to use ipv6 by default. ssh is
> an example: If i use plain ssh command, say "ssh marvin", I can wait for
> ages until the connection is done, because an ipv6 query causes a dns
> timeout. So far so bad, but if I use DoD, this even costs money. Ok, I
> can use "ssh -4" and i have an alias set to this. But why on earth is
> there no parameter for the config-file ? ssh has a big set of commands,
> one more wouldn't hurt.

Really? Which package of ssh did you install? I know for certain that
mine doesn't look up ipv6 addresses unless I explicitly tell it "ssh -6"

ii  ssh            3.0.2p1-8.3    Secure rlogin/rsh/rcp replacement (OpenSSH)

> With this poll, I send a question about exim concerning this matter and
> I hope I can forbit exim to use ipv6. Since I didn't find anything in
> the docs I'm not too positive about this...
>
> Well, enough with it. Just had to say it and of course I will happily
> change my mind if someone tells me "good news" :)--

good news: apt-get install freenet6
Welcome to the future. See you on the 6bone =)

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml