Re: 8" display on a 14" screen

At 04:31 AM 4/3/02, Karsten M. Self wrote:
on Mon, Apr 01, 2002, Dale Hair (dale@meridian-electric.com) wrote:
> I reinstalled woody on my wife's thinkpad and now I only have an 8"
> display on the 14" screen.  How do I fix this?

There's a set of utilities for the ThinkPad which allow you to access
BIOS features which, conveniently enough, aren't accessible at the boot
prompt.  Naturally, the tools that come with the ThinkPad work only
under Legacy MS Windows.

However ;-), there's a Debian package:

    tpctl - ThinkPad configuration tools for GNU/Linux

...you want to configure the screen to stretch.

Using Deb on my laptop more than I do on my home box, I find that using
the Frame buffer is  a much better choice for the laptop screen. (For my
 tower too).

The problem I found with screen stretching in either case, is that you get
large ugly font, that is hard to scroll back up through. You'll hit the end of
the line buffer sooner with Virtual Frame Buffering turned off. Finding out
what type of screen you need is solved with the ask option under lilo.conf
You can use the scan option after ask to find out what modes your
computer will support.

Chris