Re: 8" display on a 14" screen

On Wed, 2002-04-03 at 03:31, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Mon, Apr 01, 2002, Dale Hair (dale@meridian-electric.com) wrote:
> > I reinstalled woody on my wife's thinkpad and now I only have an 8"
> > display on the 14" screen.  How do I fix this?
>
> There's a set of utilities for the ThinkPad which allow you to access
> BIOS features which, conveniently enough, aren't accessible at the boot
> prompt.  Naturally, the tools that come with the ThinkPad work only
> under Legacy MS Windows.
>
> However ;-), there's a Debian package:
>
>     tpctl - ThinkPad configuration tools for GNU/Linux
>
> ...you want to configure the screen to stretch.

I installed thinkpad-base and tpctl.  Now when I run tpctl --x  I get
tpctl: System error message is: No such device
tpctl: Can't open device file /dev/thinkpad with flags O_RONLY. Exiting.

ls-l /dev/thinkpad
lrwxrwxrwx	1 root	thinkpad  5 Apr 3 07:36	 /dev/thinkpad -> smapi

ls -l /dev/smapi
crw-rw-r--	1 root  root	10, 170 Apr 3 07:36 dev/smapi

I had X in full screen before the system crash (previous post, can't
start gdm or login as user,).