Re: linux PPP in minicom

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 05:06:31PM +0530, Chitra Krishnamurthy wrote:
> Dear Sir,
> I am trying out to connect to internet using Dial up connection......
> I want to do it using standard  AT commands, to the modem which is
> connected to my Lap top's serial port.
> I want to write a program in C so that Dial up connection is made
> whenever I invoke this program

There should be no need to write a separate program.

Have a look at
    man chat
    man ppp
and the files
    /etc/chatscripts/provider
    /etc/ppp/peers/provider

They should be easily modifyable to suit your needs.

The files in /usr/share/doc/ppp should help you along nicely; SETUP.gz
may be especially interesting for you.

> I used the following AT commands, in "minicom" and I got the following
> results with the
> results :
>
> ATZ~
> OK
> ATM0L0
> OK
> ATDT0,172315
> CONNECT 31200 /ARQ /V34 /LAPM /V42BIS
> Annex Command Line Interpreter * Copyright (C) 1988, 1999 Bay Networks
> Checking authorization, Pleas wait.....
> Username......
> Password.....
> Switching to PPP.
> And some seies of characters....
> NO CARRIER

/etc/chatscripts/provider should be easily hackable to suit this.

> But I receive the result to be NO CARRIER .....Can you please tell me
> what could be the problem...

Probably because the PPP negotiation timed out. The series of weird
characters you see after "Switching to PPP." are most likely the other
end trying to initiate the PPP connection, and not receiving a response.

> With the same ISP account i am able to dial and connect to internet
> using KPPP dialer....

Which ISP is this? You will probably be able to get better advise from
somebody using the same ISP...

HTH
--
Karl E. Jørgensen