Re: Boot clean to KDE

Jim Hickman said:
> Originally sent 12/27... No responses.  Just checking, would there be a
> better place to post this request?  I know that Lindows is Debian based.

so are many other distros, doesn't mean someone here can help :) I reccomend
using a lindows list.

One thing you could try, is removing and purging all KDE stuff, and
reinstalling
all the KDE stuff. e.g.

dpkg --get-selections >selections

(look through and find all the KDE stuff, removing something critical like
kdelibs would be a good start that should get almost everything, and/or remove
qt that should tag everything that relates to KDE).

apt-get --purge remove <packages>

then reinstall these packages from the CD(s). Depending on lindows is
setup it may use apt-cdrom to install packages, it may not. Check
/etc/apt/sources.list to see whats there, the CDs may not be compadible
with apt(though I expect they would be). reinstall all the packages.
That may fix it. Depending on what the problem is. Or it may make things
much worse so I reccomend backing up any important data prior to this.

Another thing, is to rename/move/delete the ~/.kde and ~/.kde2 or whatever
the kde folders are in your home directories. That may do something
too.

there may be other things to try but you do not give nearly enough
information for me to debug further. It may take an hour or 2 or more to
resolve the situation so it may be faster just to reinstall. Depends on
your skill/knowledge, and the confinguration of the system. That is, if
it's a really complicated setup(not likely) it may be faster to debug and
fix the problem then spend the next couple days reinstalling & reconfiguring.

but your post should go to a lindows list, you have a much better chance
of finding people experienced with that distribution then here. It's sorta
like asking mandrake questions on a redhat list.

If you can provide log info, configuration info, in as much detail as possible
(post it to a website rather then direct to the list), people may be able
to help more.

nate