Boot clean to KDE

Originally sent 12/27... No responses. Just checking, would there be a better place to post this request? I know that Lindows is Debian based.
Help a Linux newbie....

Got early Christmas present from friend, a Lindows box. Nice! Been wanting to dip a toe into the Linux world. Worked great!.... until...

Shutdown from GUI desktop, but shutdown power too quick, before the whole shutdown process had completed. Now will only boot to a graphical terminal screen. Lindows support pointed me to deleting /tmp/.X0-lock to allow a 'startx' to work to get main GUI desktop going. Closing the desktop gets me back to graphical terminal screen. From there I have to do a 'shutdown now' to completely power down the box.

Lindows tech support can't help me, short of "Put in the CD, reload OS, and start over".

I come from the Windows world, and there HAS to be something less destructive than this to do. Some script somewhere, something.... This is the kind of stuff I need to start learning.

So can you folks shed some light where Lindows tech support left off?

TIA - Jim Hickman