Re: Lean and clean IMAP client

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 01:45:13PM +0100, Rohan Nicholls wrote:

| I have looked around for information about sending mail, and am totally
| confused.

mutt follows the unix tradition of separating responsibility and using
the program "/usr/lib/sendmail" (through a pipe) to send mail.  The
actual command mutt uses is configurable.

| I had exim on my system, but configuring it was not very helpful.

Exim would work.

| I have an smtp server in my domain (exchange server) and am
| happy to send my emails using this

Mutt doesn't speak SMTP because it isn't a mail server.

| or something like sendmail/ssmtp which are installed.

Either of those would work just as well.

| Does mutt use some sort of default smtp daemon?

See above.

| Last is displaying html (do I tell mutt to call an application like
| lynx to do this?)

In .muttrc :

    auto_view text/html
    # prefer the plain text version
    alternative_order text/plain text/html

In /etc/mailcap (or ~/.mailcap, but the system-wide entry should
already be there) :

    text/html; /usr/bin/links -dump '%s'; copiousoutput; description=HTML Text; nametemplate=%s.html

-D

--
The truly righteous man attains life,
but he who pursues evil goes to his death.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/