Re: Can you install programs without apt packages?

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 07:09:47PM +0000, Scott wrote:
> I am fairly new to the Linux world and am going through all of the
> documentation and installation info for Debian 3.0.
>
> I will have a system that is going to be offline and probably never
> connected to the internet.  Am I going to be able to choose source files
> and tarballs, etc. to compile on this system offline, or am I going to be
> screwed on updating since I will not have an internet connection on it for
> a while?

There's a guide to "Using APT Offline" in /usr/share/doc/apt (once
you've installed) which may be of help.

  Abstract

  This document describes how to use APT in a non-networked environment,
  specifically a 'sneaker-net' approach for performing upgrades.

You can certainly compile things yourself if you like, but that's likely
to involve shipping more data around in the long run; there are usually
build-dependencies to consider.