What Happens When the USB Mass Storage Driver Doesn't Work?

	I am trying out a new external Maxtor 5000 LE hard drive I bought
with the understanding that I can return it if it won't work
under Linux.

	I built a 2.4.19 kernel, adding support for the usb port,
the mass-storage driver and SCSI disk support.

	I had SCSI emulation working successfully to enable use
of a CDRW drive.

	What I have succeeded in doing is killing the SCSI
emulation for the IDE CDRW drive.  All the logs report that the
USB hub driver and mass-storage USB driver are successfully
registered.

kernel: usb.c: registered new driver hub
kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
kernel: usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.

Now, no SCSI devices show up in output from

cat /proc/scsi/scsi

I used to see the emulated SCSI channel for /dev/sr0, but that is
gone as long as I have SCSI disk support.

	I would think that if the new drive was the problem, I
should see some kind of SCSI errors reported or experience long
pauses and or time-outs, but everything is strangely silent after
the initial syslog messages upon boot-up.

	I would expect that I should get some kind of access
attempt messages even if the drive was not connected to the port.

	I did enable verbose error reporting for the SCSI system,
but those messages I showed here are the only evidence that
anything happened with the USB ports at all.

	So, my questions are:  Has anyone gotten one of these
nifty-looking drives to talk to a Linux system?

What kind of messages should I see, if any, when the usb drivers
are working right but the drive isn't?

	This drive says it works with Mac OSX and, of course,
Windows.  I need to know if it should work under Linux fairly
soon because of the return question.

	For background, the kernel had SCSI emulation enabled for
the CDRW drive, Generic SCSI support and SCSI CDROM support.  I
also have to have an append statement in lilo.conf to map hdc to
SCSI.

	For the USB hard drive, I added SCSI disk support, usb
support and the usb mass-storage driver.
That, as previously stated, is when I broke SCSI emulation.
There shouldn't be any conflict with the naming of SCSI devices
since it looks like the disk should show up as /dev/sda if it
ever does.:-)

	Many thanks for any constructive suggestions and a happy
New Year to all.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations Group