Duron, 2.4.19, ACPI, APIC

Hallo!

Like many other people, I have problems running a newer kernel like the 2.4.19 on a machine with an AMD Duron 1300 and an ECS K7VMM mainboard. While starting the kernel I get the message "ESR value before enabling vector: 00000002" after that the system dies.

This happened with every Debian-kernel-type but the -386 one.

FInally I got the system running by compiling an own kernel with completely NO APIC support and processor-type "Athlon" - that works.

But now I have the problem I can not take advantage of the ACPI functionalities which may help me reducing my energy-expanses, as 122W of continuous consume is a lot. The "ospm-processor" driver starts, but it does not put the processor in C2 state, as I can verify in "/proc/acpi/processor/0/status" ...

On the other hand I have an Amd Athlon 1200 (not XP-series) on an Abit board running with Debian-kernel 2.4.19-k7 and loaded "ospm-processor" module - and no problems.

Now, what exactly IS the problem?
What is the API-Controller used for, except for ACPI-support?
May it be an erranous ACPI-implementation of the BIOS (as described in an article of the C'T magazine 25/2002)? Or is it a different processor-architecture between the "Duron 1300" and the "Athlon 1200" causing the problem?

If there were no practicable software-solution for that problem (ACPI needed which needs APIC which collapses the kernel), I should change some of the hardware-components - but what one?

Saluti!

Ludwig