Crypto issues

I'm trying to set up an encrypted loopback filesystem on my laptop (running
sid). It works with XOR (which might as well not be encrypted at all) but I
can't use any other form of encryption. losetup returns:

The cipher does not exist, or a cipher module needs to be loaded into the
kernel
ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: Invalid argument

I've attempted to apt-get install anything that I thought would help but I'm
still coming up short.

What .deb to I need to get serpent (or any other decent crypto for that
matter) installed and recognized by the kernel?

I'd rather not rebuild the kernel. I know it's easy but it's also destroyed
my system consistently. That's a topic for another post.

FWIW, I'm in the US but I have both non-US and US sources added to my
sources.list. Does this matter?

Remember kids: The price of freedom is crappy crypto!

Charlie