MS Intellimouse Explorer

I liked the idea of Knoppix and downloaded it to try.  I noticed that my
Intellimouse Explorer (USB/optical) does not work however.  Side to side
motion moves the mouse up and down (up and down does nothing) and
clicking the mouse buttons moves the cursor to the right incrementally.
The mouse works fine in Red Hat and Libranet, but I have the same mouse
issue in Mandrake 9.0.  I have posted to both forums over the past weeks
with no results (other than switch to a PS/2 mouse) and searched many
FAQs.  Any help in resolving this issue is greatly appreciated.

-Trey
--
  Trey Sizemore
  trey@fastmail.fm