Re: just survived from unbootable system - what was wrong? *solved*

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 02:35:11AM -0500, Shawn Lamson wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Dec 2002 12:49:47 +0530
> Sandip P Deshmukh <deshmukh@escortsmumbai.com> wrote:
>
> > hello all
> >
> > in my quest for finding a solution for this problem, i came across a
> > script on this mailing list which claimed to do this. here is the
> > script:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > INITTY=/dev/tty[1-6]
> > for tty in $INITTY; do
> > setleds -D +num &lt; $tty
> > done
> victim of cut and paste from an html page?

you said it! indeed victim of cut and paste from an html page! and a
nice lesson to learn

> > and disaster struck. my system refused to give me a login prompt!! i did
> > init=/bin/bash at lilo. this gave me a prompt but mounted filesystem
> > readonly. how do i make it read-write?
> mount -t ext2 -o remount,rw /dev/hda1 /
> or adjust to your system

thanx. it is valuable! actually r and w both are switches that can be
passed to mount. so i thought it would be mount -r -w :)

> HTH

it did!

--
regards,

sandip p deshmukh

I am myself plus my circumstance, and if I do not save it, I cannot
save myself.
		-- Jos'e Ortega Y Gasset