Re: just survived from unbootable system - what was wrong?

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002 12:49:47 +0530
Sandip P Deshmukh <deshmukh@escortsmumbai.com> wrote:

> hello all
>
> one of the differences between debian and windows was that debian did
> not turn numlock on by default while booting.
>
> in my quest for finding a solution for this problem, i came across a
> script on this mailing list which claimed to do this. here is the
> script:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> INITTY=/dev/tty[1-6]
> for tty in $INITTY; do
> setleds -D +num &lt; $tty
> done
victim of cut and paste from an html page?
from man setleds i see
INITTY=/dev/tty[1-8]
              for tty in $INITTY; do
                     setleds -D +num < $tty
              done

> i made a file setleds in /etc/init.d and created a link named S20setleds
> to it in /etc/rc2.d as was suggested in the post.
>
> and disaster struck. my system refused to give me a login prompt!! i did
> init=/bin/bash at lilo. this gave me a prompt but mounted filesystem
> readonly. how do i make it read-write?
mount -t ext2 -o remount,rw /dev/hda1 /
or adjust to your system

> lastly, i booted from installation cd and mounted my filesystem, removed
> the link and could get to boot in normally.
nice move in a clutch situation :)

> what is wrong with the script? is there any way in which i can make num
> lock turned on on all virtual consoles?

see above or "man setleds"

HTH
Shawn