Re: simple exim configuration

David H. Clymer wrote:

On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 14:13, Paul Scott wrote:
Ok.  My /etc/exim/exim.conf has:

local_delivery:
 driver = appendfile
 group = mail
 mode = 0660
 mode_fail_narrower = false
 envelope_to_add = true
 return_path_add = true
 file = /var/spool/mail/${local_part}

but mutt tells me that /var/spool/mail/paul is not a mailbox.

what does: ls /var/mail/paul tell you? is it a file, or a directory?

It's a valid mail file according to /usr/bin/mail

BTW /var/spool/mail is just a symlink to /var/mail, hence my use of it
above.

Understood.

BTW the way where is local_part defined?

${local_part} is taken from the recipiant's email address. if someone
sent you an email (to: paul@foo.com) the exim splits up the address on
the @ and sets two variables:

local_part: paul
domain: foo.com

What process does that substitution?

so if you were doing multiple domains on one box, you could do:

file = /var/spool/mail/${domain}/${local_part}

or some such.

That part was clear. I was just expecting local_part to be something that I set somewhere else in exim.conf.

Thanks,

Paul