Re: simple exim configuration

Paul Scott wrote:

David H. Clymer wrote:

Ah. This is one of those areas I haven't quite got down: How do I tell who's listening to port 25? Do you have any suggestions as to what to

you could try: lsof -i TCP:25
That gives me:

inetd   243 root   11u  IPv4 477720       TCP *:smtp (LISTEN)

What program/daemon is listening?

I believe that this means that inetd is listening. I'm no guru, so those
that know better, please correct me, but I believe that inetd monitors
the ports specified in its configuration file (/etc/inetd.conf) and,
using the same config file, depending on the port, and type of
connection, starts whatever program is also specified in that file to
handle it.

my /etc/inetd.conf file has the following line which tells inetd how to
handle smtp connections (the service names on the left are mapped to the
correct port using the /etc/services file, i believe).
#:MAIL: Mail, news and uucp services.
smtp            stream  tcp     nowait  mail    /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs

Thanks so much! my /etc/inetd.conf has the same line. I'll see how far I can get from there.

Paul