Re: simple exim configuration

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 09:29:55PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> Pigeon wrote:

> >>Because the mutt package expects the system to have some kind of
> >>MTA, I'd guess. An MTA is a normal part of a typical system.
> >>
> >>Options for overriding such dependencies should be covered in the
> >>man page somewhere.
> >>

> >It may well be simpler just to use it...
> >
> It looks like I will have to use it get mail from either fetchmail or
> procmail (if I need it) to the mail folders.

I think this is one of those situations where you don't theoretically
have to, but it's much easier if you do because all the software and
docs are written with that assumption.

> >Run eximconfig and answer some really simple questions, and that's
> >about it. I found it so easy to do the basic setup that I can't
> >remember much about doing it.
> >
> I have done that several times and I won't know whether it's working
> until I find where fetchmail is putting mail.

According to man fetchmail, it delivers it by SMTP to port 25, whence
it is picked up by exim or whatever other MTA you have and delivered
to wherever it has to go.

I set up fetchmail by using fetchmailconf, and as with eximconfig it
just worked and I can't remember any awkwardnesses. That's the problem
with these easy config tools - when it all works you don't learn
anything.

Pigeon