Re: Lean and clean IMAP client

-- Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net> wrote
(on Thursday, 19 December 2002, 11:22 AM -0500):
> This one time, at band camp, Rohan Nicholls said:
> > I have tried to get gnus working with teh exchange server at work, but
> > it will only see the inbox, and not its subfolders, and I find the lack
> > of multithreading (so stops while waiting for mail) a bit of a problem.
> >
> > I am thinking of installing evolution on the advice of another user, and
> > saw that it wants to install 30 megs of libraries etc. so that has made
> > me pause, although the possibility of being able to access the ldap
> > server would be nice....
> >
> > I have read and searched the web and tried out various clients, but
> > there are surprisingly few that imap happily.:)
> >
> > I am looking for advice on: a lean imap client (I have switched to
> > pheonix browser-wise and don't want the overhead of mozilla just for
> > mail), and/or an ldap client that talks to exchange server.  If both
> > come in the same package so much the better.  I use emacs a lot, so if
> > they can integrate with emacs to allow me to compose in emacs I would be
> > in heaven.:)
> >
> > thanks in advance for any advice.
> >
> > rohan
>
> <standard_advice>
> Try mutt - it does literally everything.  It understands IMAP, can use
> LDAP for lookups (via little brother(IIRC)), is lightweight, highly
> configurable, can use whatever editor you want for writing mail, does
> gpg out of the box, and so many more things I'll run out of space before
> I finish.  In short, it rocks.
> </standard_advice>
little brother database -- package 'lbdb'. It can grab from LDAP, palm,
bbdb (I mention this since you're an emacs user), and other sources. (I
use it with the palm databases I sync via jpilot.) You have to configure
lbdb for your own uses, so make sure you read through its man page.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net