Re: Computer fails to recognise self - details at 11

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 17:24, nate wrote:
> Mark L. Kahnt said:
>
> > Just tried each (well, not really the third, as I don't use nscd) and
> > "localhost" can now be pinged, but exim and ftp are still not
> > responding, meaning fetchmail is still being refused. Interestingly, I can
> > dispatch a message to sendmail addressed to kahnt@localhost, and it gets
> > through, which suggests to me that the sendmail for exim doesn't work
> > through the smtp port, but just goes directly into the local
> > delivery.
>
> have you restarted the services? worth a shot if you haven't ..
>
> the fastest way to restart everything would be to drop to runlevel 1
> then go back (hit init 1, then when prompted for the root password hit
> CTRL-D). note this will kill and restart all processes on the system(except
> a couple), so be sure you don't have anything important running, but sounds
> like you don't at the moment.
>
> if theres only a couple networking services running it may help just
> to do /etc/init.d/networking restart, and restart the various services
> as well(networking restart probably isn't performed when changing runlevels
> so you may want to do this too just for kicks)
>

> nate

I have restarted /etc/init.d/networking and /etc/init.d/xinetd, as well
as reloading /etc/init.d/bind, but I haven't gone to the point of the
switch of runlevels, partly because *something* rewrites my
/etc/resolv.conf, and I suspect that is the ppp startup - I'm wary to
start poking there too much for fear of making things twice as bad.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org