Re: getting networking to work [was Re: ethernet card]

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:29:14PM -0500, Andrew Hurt wrote:
> On 12/16/02 23:40, Andrew Hurt wrote:
> >On 12/16/02 15:32, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> >
> >Once I connect (using the PPPoE interface within the router), I get
> >access to the outside!  My connection was turned-on today and I'm
> >getting about 84kB/s (much better than my old 53.2k dialup).
>
> I finally got pppoeconf to set-up everything correctly--without the router.
> Can now connect to ISP at boot-up.  I'm probably making my situation more
> complicated than it really is (1 computer <-router-> ISP).
>
> Have quite a bit of education ahead of me, it seems ;-)

:) With Linux you don't even need a router or most of the other
things. The only thing that is useful on a "normal" network
with "linux-aware admins" are switches and hubs. Linux can do all
the routing (hence the routing tables in Linux), NAT,
bandwidth managment (qdisc stuff here) and much much more.
Frankly, a router in all but some extraordinary situations
is useless - well, my opinion at least :)

- Adam