Re: Printer Recommendations?

On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 04:19, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 16 Dec 2002, Nicolaus Kedegren wrote:
> > >
> > I could not agree more with you. A used HPLJ4 cost me $125, and a
> > "refill cartridge" about $45 at the same place. Although, I do believe
> > that the toner cartridge was full, 500 pages so far and still going
> > strong.
> > My personal "Computer related Best Buy" so far. Beats any other
> > peripheral I have bought during the years come and gone since the
> > Sinclair ZX80. ( Yeah, we are still alive).
> >
> > --
> > Best Regards
> >

> I have a used HPLJ6, which I got for nothing because it was being thrown
> out. It works well with Linux but the sheets in the paper feed
> constantly stick together so it is difficult to use except for single
> pages (which I think is why it was being thrown out in the first place).
>
> AC
>
> --
> ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
> using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic
> Windows-free zone      ||  books and skeptical articles

That was a design flaw of the top feeding system - the 5L also does that
(I have one that is otherwise an excellent low volume printer.) Never
letting the paper feed get low and fluffing the paper before you put it
in each time helps considerably, but it isn't a certain solution.
Apparently there is a Windows-based software tweak that can help (???)
but part of the basic problem is natural static electricity. If you
watch an HP printer that feeds from below the toner cartridge, they
almost shake each sheet to ensure they are only pulling one now.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org