Re: Printer Recommendations?

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 10:10:14PM -0500, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
| On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 17:37, Karsten M. Self wrote:
| > on Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 04:01:24PM -0600, Alex Malinovich (demonbane@the-love-shack.net) wrote:

| > > Any suggestions on a good choice?
| >
| > A used, ethernet-capable, postscript laserprinter.  Possibly a higher
| > up-front cost, but generally higher performance, and better quality, as
| > well as far-lower operating costs, than inkjets.
| >
| > HPLJ4 or better should do you well.  Used ~$300, but as noted the
| > operating costs are lower than inkjet ($40/cartridge or so).
|
| I would ardently concur - unless you must have colour, you are
| financially well ahead to put out an extra few bucks up front for a
| laser printer. A typical toner cartridge lasts 8-10 times the length of
| service of a typical ink cartridge, runs faster, has fewer movements to
| go wrong, and the typical printer tends to hold up longer

I have a LJ IIIp (manufactured in 1993) still running well here.
While it listed for around $1100 in production, I acquired it
second-hand about 5 years ago.

| many of the budget inkjets I've encountered have something critical
| break by the second or third year,

My dad's Canon BJC-610 is still functional here.  It was purchased
around 1995 or so for around $160 (IIRC).  The manufacturer's Windows
drivers predate win95 and samba (it doesn't work over smb).  It may
not be an typical case, though.

| while laser printers have tended to still be strongly functional
| after nearly a decade.

Laser printers are designed for a much heavier duty cycle.

Not only that, but laser printers produce higher quality prints.  The
black is really black (instead of a greyish almost-black) and has
crisper edges.  Even at 300 dpi (the limit of my printer, new ones
have quadruple the resolution).

A neat accessory for lower-end printers is a JetDirect box from HP or
equivalent from NetGear.  They provide an lpd-capable, smb-capable,
and ipp-capable (varies with model and cost) ethernet interface and a
parallel port on the other side.  They are really handy for making a
parallel port printer network-aware without running an entire
general-purpose computer for it.  They are a bit pricey, however.

-D

--
How to shoot yourself in the foot with Java:

You find that Microsoft and Sun have released incompatible class
libraries both implementing Gun objects. You then find that although
there are plenty of feet objects implemented in the past in many other
languages, you cannot get access to one. But seeing as Java is so cool,
you don't care and go around shooting anything else you can find.
    (written by Mark Hammond)

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/