Re: Printer Recommendations?

on Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 11:57:50PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson (dman@dman.ddts.net) wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 10:10:14PM -0500, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:

> | > A used, ethernet-capable, postscript laserprinter.  Possibly a higher
> | > up-front cost, but generally higher performance, and better quality, as
> | > well as far-lower operating costs, than inkjets.
> | >
> | > HPLJ4 or better should do you well.  Used ~$300, but as noted the
> | > operating costs are lower than inkjet ($40/cartridge or so).
> |
> | I would ardently concur - unless you must have colour, you are
> | financially well ahead to put out an extra few bucks up front for a
> | laser printer. A typical toner cartridge lasts 8-10 times the length of
> | service of a typical ink cartridge, runs faster, has fewer movements to
> | go wrong, and the typical printer tends to hold up longer
>
> I have a LJ IIIp (manufactured in 1993) still running well here.
> While it listed for around $1100 in production, I acquired it
> second-hand about 5 years ago.

...and they double as room heaters.

I wouldn't recommend an HPLJIII to anyone who doesn't have dedicated
wiring for it, the draw on in dimmed the streetlights on my block.  But
it's a very solid piece of hardware.  Suitable for an office or shop
environment, if you can spare the juice.

That's why I suggested an HPLJ4 or better.  And yes, the JetDirect cards
rock.

Peace.

   Comic tragedy:  MobiliX sued by comix publisher over iX trademark
     http://mobilix.org/mobilix_asterix.html