RE: putty logout hang

I believe this behavior is intentional.

Using ssh under solaris exhibits the same behavior. I don't entirely know
the reason but I'll take a wild guess and say that as long as the child
process is attached to a tty, ssh won't let go of the parent. I suspect if
you can make the child process both disown itself and detach from the tty,
you should be set.

Something like this might work (bash, sh)

ls < /dev/null >/dev/null 2>&1

but I'm not sure. ttys are a bit on the black magic side.

Installing and using screen, as someone suggested, also works. I hate screen
though since it interferes with my emacs keybindings and I'm too lazy to
reconfigure yet another program.