Re: urgent - system slow after spamassassin

On Mon Dec 16, 2002 at 08:47:00AM -0800, the boisterous
Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net>
wrote to me:
> If you use spamc, which is the daemonized version of spamassassin, it
> will run somewhat faster, since it is written in C rather than perl.
> It only helps a little, however, since it still needs to invoke
> multiple exim processes.  I ended up also running fetchmail as a daemon
> as well, getting messages from my ISP every ten minutes or so to avoid
> being overrun by a large number of concurrent messages.

I'm using somewhat the same configuration. But I upgraded last weekend
from woody to sarge and noticed, that spamassassin is terrible slow.
many sa processes fill up my memory and my computer gets unusable (for
about half an hour!). I didn't change my config, but woody's SA was
mileages faster. So I decided to start a spamd and exchange spamassassin
with spamc and voila, it works.

So long
Thomas

--
  ___    Obviously we do not want to leave zombies around.
_/___\     - W. Richard Stevens