Re: Digicams and Debian/Linux

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 01:55:47PM -0500, Bruno Diniz de Paula wrote......

> Hi all,
>
> I have just purchased a digicam (Sony DSC-P7) and I was trying to
> download the pictures from the camera to my box (Debian sid). When I
> plug the camera into some of the USB ports, the usbmgr detects the
> device and the Sony is listed when running lsusb. After doing some
> googling, I haven't succeded in finding a package or some way to mount
> the memory card at the camera or to read the pictures after the device
> was detected by usbmgr. Does some of you know if there is a package in
> Debian that helps working around this stuff or if there is another
> better solution?

I've the Sony DSC-F707, so I suppose much of it is the same.  Here's
what I did ...

1.  As root, lsmod to see what mods are installed.  You should look for:

	usb-storage
	usbcore
	scsi_mod
	sd_mod
	usb-uhci
	input
	sr_mod

You probably don't need all of these, but that's what I've got in mine
for my system, which does have SCSI HD's.

2.  Edit /etc/fstab by making the entry:

	/dev/sdc1   /home/userMe/mnt/sony   vfat  noauto,user 0 0

3.  Plug in the camera via the USB

4.  Mount the disk with:

	mount  /dev/sdc1   /home/userMe/mnt/sony -t vfat

5.  Diagnose by checking:

	/var/log/messages
	/var/log/syslog
	/proc/bus/usb      // this will show you what is being seen
	/proc/scsi         // see what's here too

That's all it took for me to get it working.

HTH.

Kevin

--
Kevin Coyner