"while this kernel is version" error message

So, I have an old P166, no MMX, no built-in USB, 96MB RAM, running
2.4.18-386 and Debian stable.

I also have a Logitech USB WebCam. I'd like to use the cam.

The first step was to purchase a USB card off of eBay. Easy enough.

The second step was to find a load appropriate drivers. Not so easy.

Apparently, USB Logitech cams have no kernel support. There are drivers
in source form available from qce-ga on source forge.  I download those.
Now I need to compile the driver. I don't have any kernel source on that
machine, so I apt-get the 2.4.18 kernel source and untar it. I set up a
link for "linux" that points to the directory with the source tree in
it, change directories and run make in the kernel directory. Various
stuff builds, but I eventually get a message:

make: *** No rule to make target `include/linux/autoconf.h', needed by
`include/config/MARKER'.  Stop.

Hm. I have no idea what that means. But, optimistically, I run make in
the qce-ga module directory and it seems to build OK.

But, I try to insmod mod_quickcam, I get

mihosi:/usr/src/qce-ga-0.40c# insmod mod_quickcam.o
mod_quickcam.o: kernel-module version mismatch
        mod_quickcam.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.18
        while this kernel is version 2.4.18-386.

And the module does not want to load.

How can I fix my environment so that I don't get that message?