Re: cannot boot OldLinux

Steve M. Robbins wrote:

-SNIP- <
I'm at a loss now: where should I be looking next?

Thanks,
-Steve

----------------- lilo.conf -------------------

boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda3
install=menu
map=/boot/map
vga=normal

# Needed for debian kernel packages
initrd = /initrd.img

# Show me the LILO prompt ...
prompt

# ... but wait no more than this (tenths of second)
timeout = 200

image=/vmlinuz
	label=Linux
	read-only

other=/dev/hda1
        label=Win
        table=/dev/hda

image=/vmlinuz.old
        label=OldLinux
        read-only
	optional

This is just a guess, but I believe the initrd.img file is specific for each kernel...i.e. if you look at the "/initrd.img" file it is just a symlink to /boot/initrd-[some specific kernel image file]. Since BOTH of your kernels need a different but "specific" initrd.img file you need to place this command in each kernel image stanza and edit to make sure it is pointing to the specific initrd.img for that kernel. Here is what I would do: (there are probably other solutions)

> boot=/dev/hda
> root=/dev/hda3
> install=menu
> map=/boot/map
> vga=normal
>
> # Needed for debian kernel packages
> # initrd = /initrd.img <----comment out this line in the "general" section so it doesn't apply to all kernel "stanzas".
>

> # Show me the LILO prompt ...
> prompt
>
> # ... but wait no more than this (tenths of second)
> timeout = 200
>

> image=/vmlinuz
> 	label=Linux
> 	read-only
initrd=initrd.img <--add this and symlink it to /boot/initrd.img-2.4.20

> other=/dev/hda1
>         label=Win
>         table=/dev/hda
>

> image=/vmlinuz.old
>         label=OldLinux
>         read-only
initrd=initrd.img-old <add this and symlink it to /boot/initrd.img-2.4.19

> 	optional

You may have to clean up the file names to match what it on your system, but this should give you the idea. Make sure to run "lilo" after the edits.

HTH.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-