Re: Help: Tomcat 4.1.16 (unstable)

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 02:42:52PM +0100, Berthold Cogel wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I try to get tomcat4 running in debian (stable/testing/unstable).
>
> I got me the current version of j2sdk (1.4.1_01) and installed it to
> /usr/local/java/j2sdk1.4.1_01.
> I selected tomcat4, tomcat4-admin, tomcat4-webapps and libtomcat4.java
> in dselect to get the dependencies fixed and installed all the needed
> packages except the four mentioned above. I downloaded the four packages
> separatly and installed them with dpkg -i --force-depends.

Why did you force these packages?  That's going to hurt in the future,
especially since apt won't install anything now.  If it's to avoid the
Java dependency, then go get the Java packages from blackdown.org or use
the java dummy package available in Debian, or even the equivs package.

> All the configuration files are untouched after installation.
> Homepage, tomcat4 and webdav pages are working. But I can't get the
> examples, tomcat-admin and the manager to work. Examples and
> tomcat-admin are missing. Manager asks for user and password if called
> from local host, but then .... access denied.

Dunno why this is happening.  Tomcat4 worked great for me when I
installed it with the blackdown.org packages.

-rob