Re: what terminal type?

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 02:15:10PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> hello all
>
> i recently installed a package called screen. its manual says that it
> tries to provide functionality of a dec vt100 terminal.
>
> it is a good package. but i notice that colors do not appear same after
> i use it. my guess is it has something to do with the terminal type
> emulated.
>
> how do i know what terminal type is being emulated? and how do i change
> it?

'echo $TERM' is the normal way to do this, but screen just sets it to
'screen' or 'screen-bce' so it's not much help.  AIUI, the colours
depend on the 'physical' terminal that is blitting bits onto your
screen, Eterm in my case.  I'm using screen with vim, mutt, ls
--color=auto, emacs -nw, etc and the colours appear fine.  Which actual
terminal emulator are you using?  xterm is rather notorious for it's
butt-ugly default colours...

Now, to hijack this thread: I've only recently discovered the magic of
screen, and am now trying to move in permanently.  The solution I'm
using now is 'screen -xO || screen -O' at the bottom of my .zshrc.  Is
there a better way to start all my shells (both in VTs and the
innumerable Eterms I have floating around) inside the master screen
session?  Ideally, I'd like each new instantiation of zsh to connect to
the existing screen session and open up a new (full-screen) screen
window.

-rob