Re: Help! Exim & verizon.net

R Ransbottom <rir@attbi.com> writes:

> I am trying to set up a debian mail server that sees the world
> through incoming.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net.
>
> Fetchmail is set up and recieving mail fine.

   Are you doing this:

 (2) Internet site using smarthost: You receive Internet mail on this
     machine, either directly by SMTP or by running a utility such as
     fetchmail. Outgoing mail is sent using a smarthost. optionally with
     addresses rewritten. This is probably what you want for a dialup
     system.

  If you are trying to send your mail via Verizon's SMTP server and it
is giving you trouble, you may want to go with configuration option
(1):

 (1) Internet site; mail is sent and received directly using SMTP. If your
     needs don't fit neatly into any category, you probably want to start
     with this one and then edit the config file by hand.

which will cause your host to not use verizon's SMTP server but,
rather, it will go out and try to find the host's SMTP server and
deliver mail directly to it, thus not using verizon's outgoing SMTP
service.

   Do you absolutely must need to use Verizon's SMTP service for
outgoing mail?

   Elizabeth