Re: questions about mutt

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 10:43 pm, Cameron Matheson wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Ever since i started using Linux, i have routinely been switching
> between mutt, mozilla mail, and (more recently), evolution.  Anyway,
> i kind of like mutt a lot, but i have a few questions/concerns about
> it:
>
> 1)  Using mutt in X.  Mutt is really really ugly in an xterm (or at
> least i think it is), is there any fonts or other ways of running
> mutt that work better for people (i don't really like to run it in
> the console because my browser and everything is in X).

You can try changing your xterm fonts.  I use the following settings
(add to ~/.Xresources):

XTerm*font: 9x15
XTerm*scrollBar: true
XTerm*saveLines: 1000

Or try another terminal emulator (rxvt, konsole, Eterm, etc.)

> 2)  This one i should probably be able to figure out myself, but i
> want to compose my messages in mutt w/ my already-running emacs.  I
> know about the 'VISUAL' option in the muttrc, but that doesn't really
> seem to work for me (when i try to reply to a message, it wouldn't
> quote the message inside the editor IIRC, and it started a new emacs
> instead of using the one already running (same goes for mozilla)).

Err, yeah, there's a way to run Emacs as a client/server.  I think you
start the original Emacs with something like "emacs -f server-start",
and then you set your editor in mutt to "emacsclient" and it'll use the
server process.  It's been a while since I've done this though.

But, if you're really serious about using Emacs as your editor, you'll
eventually move to gnus as your mail/news reader anyway.  :)