Re: questions about mutt

hiya,

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 11:43:42PM -0700, Cameron Matheson wrote:
> 1)  Using mutt in X.  Mutt is really really ugly in an xterm (or at
> least i think it is), is there any fonts or other ways of running mutt
> that work better for people (i don't really like to run it in the
> console because my browser and everything is in X).

i like it :)   you can specify what colors and layout you like, as well
as just about anything else you could possibly imagine in your .muttrc.
there's a big, long manpage all about it, as well as some examples
in /usr/share/doc.  my reasons for liking mutt over anything else have
less to do with how nice it looks and more with how hacker-friendly
it is.  oh, and i can get into it from anywhere in the world if i
have terminal access.  i wouldn't recommend trying to xforward
mozilla-mail on a 56k...

> 2)  This one i should probably be able to figure out myself, but i want
> to compose my messages in mutt w/ my already-running emacs.  I know
> about the 'VISUAL' option in the muttrc, but that doesn't really seem to
> work for me (when i try to reply to a message, it wouldn't quote the
> message inside the editor IIRC, and it started a new emacs instead of
> using the one already running (same goes for mozilla)).

VISUAL is an environment variable you set outside of mutt with your shell,
though mutt lets you override it with the "editor" setting.  if you know
how to load a file into an already running emacs session (sorry, i'm a vi
user...) then setting editor to that in your .muttrc (or if it doesn't
allow passing args, putting that in a script and putting the script in
your .muttrc) should do the trick.

quoting the message is a different option.  you want to set "include" to
either yes or ask-yes.  read the fine manpage fore more info.

> 3) Is there a way to use urlview so that i can just click on the links
> and have it launch a browser instead of copy and pasting them into my
> browser?

not that i know of off the top of my head...

> 4) What's the best way to handle HTML mail (please no /dev/null jokes
> here ;)

i'd say either text-only web-browser (lynx and w3m are both nice) is
the best way to go.  i have a script that finds text/html messages and
pipes them to something like w3m -dump out of my .procmailrc, so that it
shows up as plain text (with a 'slight' adjustment to the mail headers so
i can know that it was filtered).

it works pretty nicely, i can send it your way if you like.

> I think that's about it, i like the fetchmail/spamassassin/procmail/mutt
> system better than the big GUI mail-editor/filter system, so i would
> like to become a permanent mutt user but for the reasons listed above i
> seem to always to back to mozilla mail or evolution.

well there are pro's and con's to each¸ ya gotta just figure out what's
best for your needs/wants.

	sean