Re: can not start X - new install woody with ATI RADEON 7500

Hi,

* Mingzhou Nie <mnie@nc.rr.com> [021212 10:23]:
> Hello, all,
>
> I'm a recent Linux user and decided to try on Debian. Installed "woody" and
> installation process went just fine. However, I can not start x.
>
> My video card is ATI radeon 7500 / 64MB SDRAM. I understand woody comes with
> XFree86 4.1.0 which just start support radeon chipset but not "RV200 QW". I
> also saw a November thread about the same problem. It seem I have to
> options.
>
> - Install XFree86 4.2.0 using its XInstall.sh
> - Add this line to your sources.list and install XFree86 4.2
>
> #XFree 4.2
> deb http://people.debian.org/~branden/ sid/$(ARCH)/

If you want to upgrade X, then go for option 2. Use Brandens .deb.

> Not sure which one is better. Can someone list step by step instructions?

Choose 2. However I think these are now at:

http://people.debian.org/~frankie/debian woody/x421

So put the above in your /etc/sources.list, then do.

# apt-get update
# apt-get install xserver-xfree86

HTH, however YMV,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux onefish 2.4.19-lavienx #1 Sat Sep 21 19:58:12 EST 2002