RE: enabling apm on laptop

I'm not sure what you mean by OP. 'uname -r' returns '2.4.18-bf2.4'. It's
what I got from installing sid with the bf2.4 option, which was the only way
I found to get a 2.4 series kernel.

apm is definitely not compiled in. I'm loading it via the module system.
lsmod shows:

apm                     9116   2 (autoclean)
maestro3               25416   1
ac97_codec              9568   0 [maestro3]
soundcore               3204   2 [maestro3]
3c59x                  24616   1
keybdev                 1664   0 (unused)
input                   3040   0 [keybdev]
usb-uhci               20676   0 (unused)
usbcore                48000   1 [usb-uhci]

USB, BTW, also works for my purposes. I suspect PCMCIA doesn't work though
but I don't need that so much.

OT: I had huge problems with compiling my own kernels. Mounting CD roms
would corrupt my harddisk. Since each try to get it working involved
destroying my installation, I quickly lost patience with the exercise and
stuck to the prebuilt kernels.