Re: enabling apm on laptop

-- Charlie Reiman <creiman@kefta.com> wrote
(on Wednesday, 11 December 2002, 11:56 AM -0800):

Yeah, wouldn't hibernate be nice...? That was one of the best features
of my old notebook -- except that after a month using Win98SE, it
stopped waking up from it. That's when I first installed linux...

So, apmd is working on your machine with a 2.4bf series kernel -- which
one? 'Cause that's another option for the OP.

I've got 2.4.17 or 2.4.18 on my wife's old laptop, and that bf kernel
didn't have apm enabled -- which is when I had to install the kernel
again. The same thing happened when I installed on our new PIV-1.7GHz
using a 686-bf2.4 kernel earlier this summer.

> It sounds like your experience is broader than mine but I'm not sure why it
> would matter that the apm support is compiled in or loaded. My is definately
> being loaded but it works just the same. I didn't do anyting special besides
> apt-get install apmd.
I used to compile my kernels by hand, as it sped up the boot process and
allowed non-standard hardware (until two years ago, many distros didn't
ship with USB support enabled as it was still considered experimental,
and many didn't enable APM in their kernels by default) -- but this was
using different distros than debian.

APM support is one of the kernel options at compile time -- you can have
it compiled statically (i.e., loads all the time) or as a module (loads
if requested), or not at all.

Basically, my experience with the bf2.4 kernels (it wasn't until after
I'd re-installed our desktop machine's kernel that I realized these were
the boot floppy kernels) is that they don't have APM compiled in any way
-- hence the need to install a regular kernel for your architecture.

But if your machine is working with one, send the list the kernel-image
package name you used as it's another option for the OP.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net